Thursday, January 7, 2010

Wichita Falls

Ardmore was chilly, dark, and 40 felt like 10. The winds were very high. We were running the heater, and I decided this trip that if I am going to use the gas for heating, I will drive. So we left yesterday evening.

Now I prefer interstate driving, but I also believe in saving money. It was going to take us a lot more miles to go down to Dallas and then go west. That would mean a longer time, even if I was spending the same money each day. But I'm not. The cold was coming. And I wanted to be somewhere warmer. Now I know it is still cold here, but it is not as cold as the central part of Oklahoma. And with the sun today, I am not running the heater.

My travel plan is just drive up to 50 miles a day. That is only 70 dollars a week in gas money. I spent that much in OKC and even more driving to Macomb. I use to spend 140/week in gas, and one month was 1000 dollars! So if I am spending the same amount: why not go and enjoy myself? But....with the cold we are not doing much sightseeing, and I have spent most of the first week's allowance now.

Both of our moms are missing us, and one dear friend is vocalizing her concern for our lunacy, but this is something we have wanted to do for a long time. I like Wichita Falls, but I noticed I like bigger towns. I'm not really a country girl; I just "slept" in the country. I was never home!

Anyway, we left Ardmore, and because we were heading west, I went down a "red road." This is the name for the roads marked in red on a map. I don't want to do that again, but I will have to when we leave here, because there are not any interstates. We are rethinking where we are going, but we may stay here a few days because of the gas usage. We stopped in Waurika last night, and I did not have cell coverage. But I did find wifi! I sent messages to different ones in case we disappeared.

The sun feels good. Safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment