Sunday, January 10, 2010

ON A DARK ROAD IN TEXAS

It didn't last long. You know, our we're-going-to-get-away-from-this-cold-weather trip. Thomas' mom has been in the hospital, and she doesn't show any signs of getting out soon. He felt bad that he was out of state, and he wanted to be there for her. So last night, we decided to come back to Oklahoma. I felt we needed to sit there in Wichita Falls until we knew for sure what we were doing, but we had put too much in the tank already. I knew we would need the gas, for an emergency, so I told him we would go back. We were spending a bit of it anyway driving around looking for wifi and laundromats. So after a very short nap, we hit the road.

I decided to take a different highway to Waurika. I was trying to shorten our mileage and gas consumption, so we took Highway 79 going north. I would have preferred the interstate, but there wasn't one out of town. It was a small, two lane road. After about 20 minutes, I saw flashing lights in my mirror. I was going about 10 miles under the speed limit, so I couldn't imagine why he was pulling me over. My main thought about being pulled over is always the dogs. Bengy had been crankier toward people parking next to us. The chis were acting more nervous. I think they had gotten use to staying in a house. Mom would keep them while we ran errands.

When he walked up to the window, I had my license ready. He said, "How many dogs do you have?" I told him the truth, and showed him the envelope with their papers. He asked where we were going, and told me that he pulled me over because my tag light was out. I told him we were going back to OKC (because of Thomas's sick mom) after spending some time in Wichita Falls. He asked for my license and car insurance. I kept pulling out the wrong papers, and started telling him where we got the van and more information than he probably needed. Anyway, we ran my license, and by the time he came back, I had found the insurance card. He just glanced at it, told me again why I needed to get my tag light fixed, and gave me a written warning. He assured me it wouldn't go on my record. I was glad I had the paper in case I got pulled over again, but then today was upset that I got one. I didn't feel I had done anything to get pulled over, and when we looked, Thomas tapped it and it came back on! He was very nice and I'm sure probably found the whole thing quite humorous.

I had thought about taking a nap before leaving town. I had thought about taking a different highway. But I didn't. So I did the what ifs, and didn't stop driving until I got to Waurika on the other side of the border. Thomas tapped the light, and then we drove to Ardmore. I was very tired, but I didn't want to sleep until I got to the Flying J.

Several more police cars passed us, and one even followed us, but we didn't get stopped again. I am use to being followed, and they drive real close, but I just maintain my speed and don't panic. They usually get bored and quit following, especially if I am going under the speed limit. I noticed the Texas officer was reading the side of the van when he walked up. I think we were getting attention looking like a church driving around late on a Friday night.

The temps were going into the single digits last night, so I didn't want to stop for long. I slept for a couple hours at the FJ, then since I got out to go to the restroom, I decided to go on. Bad idea. I was sleepy, so I stopped in Pauls Valley. I pulled into a McDonalds and pulled a blanket over my head. Thomas had the phone, so I didn't know what time it was. It seemed like half an hour later, Bengy let out a warning bark, so I woke up and looked in my side mirror. A man was getting into his car, and I had the impression that he might have approached the van. I left. As soon as I got on the highway, I started getting sleepy again. I was drinking bottles of water to try to stay awake. I made it to Purcell and pulled into Walmart. I pulled the blanket over my head again and tried to get comfortable. My shoulder was really bothering me by then. When I woke again, the sun was coming up. I would only start the van if I was driving, so I left again. I had not had much sleep in 3 days, so I was still having problems staying awake. I drank another bottle of water, but it wasn't helping much. By Norman, I was waking Thomas up again to keep me awake. We made it to Mom's by 9am. After taking the dogs in, she made me a cup of hot tea, and I fell asleep sitting on her couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment